Pages

Monday, May 26, 2008

My body lasts forever??? 1 Cor. 6:12-20

Thanks for the awesome discussion in class on Sunday! It was great to see that so many were thinking and reading this passage during the week. It is certainly not a passage to read on a shallow level, or take lightly. There is too much within these 9 verses to dismiss out-of-hand. If you find it difficult to post a comment, just email it to me and I'll post it for ya! :)

Quick comment tips:

1) Click "post a comment" at bottom of blog
2) write your comment in the "leave a comment" box
3) enter the scrambled letters in the "word verification" box
4) click the orange "publish your comments" box

Here are some more questions for us to ponder and discuss this week, from the passage:

1. What should motivate us to live in purity?
There are so many temptations that we know are wrong - but WHY should we say NO?

2. Why do you think God says to "flee" sexual immorality (vs. 18)? Most other temptations in Scripture we are called to resist. When it comes to immorality - we are told to flee...WHY???

3. What do you think about our bodies being permanent vs. temporary (vs. 14)? Is this new to you? Are there other cross-references or verses that might shed more light on this? Is the permanence of our bodies a motivator for purity?

4. What does it mean to be a temple of the Holy Spirit (vs. 19)? We all know we are a temple, but what does this mean? Is a temple just a dwelling, or is it also a place of worship? Does this make a difference?

5. Did Christ really buy your body, or just your soul, when He died for you (vs. 20)? What do you think Paul was arguing in this context? Why does this even matter? Does our discussion about philosophical dualism relate here?

Lots of questions to ponder. Interact with any of them - no need to try and answer all of them unless you are really ambitious! Dig deep in this passage.
- Do more cross-referencing using the center margin of your Bible.
- Grab a good study Bible (like MacArthur's or Ryrie's or Zondervan's) and read some of the commentary notes.
- Grab your Strong's Concordance (or buy one at Arrowhead or Amazon.com if you don't own one - I highly recommend every family have one in their home...if you want to try one out, I'd be happy to loan you my copy) - use the concordance to lookup "immorality" or "purity" or "sex" and see what other passages say.
- Or use an online Bible concordance for those same searches (here's a couple of the best: www.biblegateway.com and www.crosswalk.com)

Happy digging! Remember, the wealth of Scripture is often buried just beneath the surface. Only the diligent find buried treasure. Never settle for fool's gold! :)

"Tune your ears to wisdom,
and concentrate on understanding.
Cry out for insight,
and ask for understanding.
Search for them as you would for silver;
seek them like hidden treasures.
Then you will understand what it means to fear the Lord,
and you will gain knowledge of God."
(Prov. 2:2-5 NLT)

2 comments:

servant said...

what motivates me to stay pure is fear of God - I am afraid of what God might do to get my attention if I get involved in sin, because He loves me, He will draw me back to Himself and I am afraid of what He might do to get my attention

Justin said...

fear of God...I must admit that I too am motivated at least partly by this. there is nothing like being on the wrong side of God. His Spirit is really well at conviction and discipline.
I am so thankful for His grace and strength to live a holy life, and for His mercy when I fail! what an awesome God we serve!!!