Pages

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

GIFTS! 1 Cor. 12-14

At Christmas, our minds are slightly preoccupied with gifts. Guys, we need to find that perfect gift for our wife that she will actually use. Women, you need to find that ideal gift for your husband that won't end up in the back of his closet. Parents, you need to find just the right toy for your kid - not too expensive, yet one that he can show off to his friends. It is a yearly challenge for all of us!

In the spirit of Christmas, 1 Corinthians 12 begins what hopefully will be a life-changing discussion on "gifts" of a different sort. It just so happens that God saw fit to give you some amazingly unique gifts tailor-suited for both you and First Christian Church. These gifts were hand-chosen by God to benefit all of us.

Have you unpacked your gifts yet? If not, I hope that by the end of this series of lessons you will. When you and I use our gifts, I guarantee your “blessing” circuit will blow a fuse. There is nothing like being on the receiving end of someone else’s supernatural gifts!!!

Here are the following “gifts myths” that I believe the Apostle Paul was trying to bust:
1) I don’t need to know my gift to exercise it
2) I am born with my gifts – they are my natural abilities that God uses
3) I have one spiritual gift
4) I don’t have gift “X”, so I can’t serve in ministry “Y”
5) I can choose which gift I have by praying and working real hard to get it

Somewhere underneath all this confusion lies untapped energy. There is no governmental agency that can regulate its use. So open your Bibles with me, and let’s begin digging!

No comments: