Pages

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Incarnation evangelism... 1 Cor. 9:19-23

Perhaps one of the most misquoted and misunderstood portions of the New Testament. People often use this paragraph to justify all kinds of behavior. What exactly was Paul talking about when he penned the following?:

19 Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. - 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 (NIV)

Is Paul saying that we can become like the people we are trying to reach? This is the typical interpretation. (This is why ministries are using all sorts of questionable methods to win people to Christ.)

I don't believe Paul is saying that at all! In fact, he tries quite clearly to state otherwise: "...not being without law toward God..." (vs. 21). This idea of using any means to win people to Christ is not a new idea - Paul mentioned it in Romans 11:13-14. Yet before we jump on the "end justifies the means" bandwagon, some thought is needed.

My favorite question to ask "ends justify means" people is this - I am going to build a bar onto our church. It will surely draw big night time crowds. While people are drinking and having a good time, there will be Christians mingling with them seeking to win them for Christ. Is this right? I have never gotten a "yes"! Why is that? Most people admit boundaries, they simply don't know how to think biblically about these boundaries.

Who is the very best example of being all things to all men, and yet remaining within the boundaries? Jesus! His incarnation allowed Him to serve, love, and free humanity from sin. He took on skin to bring Good News. He became a human, yet He retained His perfection.

Do you allow yourself to mingle with "bad people", also known as sinners? Do you take on their "skin" --- stoop to their level? Do you identify with them on a level you perhaps feel uncomfortable with? Paul did. I call this incarnation evangelism.

I think last weekend we practiced this by being at the Kirkwood Fair. For some, the crowds were perhaps "beneath" you. Perhaps the "carnies" gave you shivers. Did you care about their souls? Many of you did - enough to spend time giving away literature that could change their lives.

That's what incarnation evangelism is all about. It is about putting my preferences and comforts aside for the sake of anther's soul. It is caring more about the lost than my sensitivity.

Perhaps one of the best explanations of this passage comes from Eugene Peterson's Message paraphrase:


19 Even though I am free of the demands and expectations of everyone, I have voluntarily become a servant to any and all in order to reach a wide range of people: 20 religious, nonreligious, 21 meticulous moralists, loose-living immoralists, 22 the defeated, the demoralized—whoever. I didn’t take on their way of life. I kept my bearings in Christ—but I entered their world and tried to experience things from their point of view. I’ve become just about every sort of servant there is in my attempts to lead those I meet into a God-saved life. 23 I did all this because of the Message. I didn’t just want to talk about it; I wanted to be in on it! - 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 (The Message)


Jesus wants us to do the same - get out of your church building! Stop staying in the team huddle. Stop drinking other people's medicine - the world needs it more than you do! Go out with the sinners. Befriend them. Eat with them. Go shopping with them. Love them. Don't practice their sin. Love their soul. Share hope with them. Practice incarnation evangelism!

No comments: